Retailers and caterers heed the wake-up call of
National Vegetarian Week 2012.
23 July 2012
National Vegetarian Week (NVW) 2012 proved a great success with caterers, retailers, manufacturers and the media. Whether they were aiming to improve customer loyalty, stake their claim on an influential and growing market or generally boost trade, businesses benefitted from the involvement of charities, community groups, key social commentators and TV shows in the UK’s annual celebration of all things vegetarian.
The week included:
- 282 entries on the national What’s Happening calendar
- 2,300 packs of free promotional materials distributed across the UK
- Worldwide Trending on Twitter: #NationalVegetarianWeek
- Over 515 pieces of media coverage with a potential reach of over 74million
- A popular breakfast focus with event, promotions and media coverage centred on the most important meal of the day.
- Well-known brands and companies such as Radisson and Giraffe promoting their meat-free offer
- Activity at all four of the ‘big’ supermarkets
- Meat Free in Manchester - a free public launch event attended by up to 4,500 visitors
“This year’s successes reveal a steady interest in the vegetarian market and its influential customers. However, with Keynote reporting that the vegetarian food market is worth £786.5 million and the Vegetarian Society’s own research showing that poor service for vegetarians and vegans is putting a whopping £1.8billion worth of catering business at risk, there are still many businesses in need of a veggie wake up call. We’ve already started work on National Vegetarian Week 2013 - if you think your company can add to the mix we’d love to hear from you.” Said, Liz O’Neill, Head of Communications, the Vegetarian Society.
National Vegetarian Week 2013 runs from Monday 20 – Sunday 26 May. The full NVW2012 report is available at www.nationalvegetarianweek.org along with business opportunities, plus ways to keep up to date with news and a gallery. Call 0161 925 2000 and ask for Graham to find out about business opportunities and the Vegetarian Society’s work.
Ends Notes for editors
- For more press information please contact Su or Liz on 0161 925 2012/2013 email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org , mobile 07973 108 165/7, visit www.vegsoc.org/press
- For images to illustrate the Week please contact Su or Liz
- Now in its twenty-first year National Vegetarian Week (NVW) is the annual awareness-raising campaign promoting inspirational vegetarian food and the benefits of a meat-free lifestyle. Everyone is welcome to get involved - restaurants, schools, libraries, caterers, shops, manufacturers and individuals.
- The Vegetarian Society is a registered charity.