Approved products and catering
The Vegetarian Society Approved trademark is the UK's most widely recognised vegetarian symbol. If you see the symbol on packaging and in restaurants, you can be confident that the product or food has undergone stringent checks to meet our vegetarian criteria.
To be approved a product must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Be free from animal flesh (meat, fowl, fish or shellfish), meat or bone stock, animal or carcass fats, gelatine, aspic or any other ingredients resulting from animal slaughter.
- Contain only free range eggs, where eggs are used.
- Be free from genetically modified organisms (GMOs).
- There must be no cross contamination with non-vegetarian products during the production process.
- Be cruelty-free - no animal testing is permitted.
The Vegetarian Society Approved trademark is proudly displayed on a diverse range of over 7,000 products, available in the UK and abroad. It is also used by the National Health Service as part of its hospital food initiative.
You can search for vegetarian products and caterers on our database.
Thinking of getting approval?
Find out the benefits