||natural orange extract
||ginger syrup (from the stem ginger jar)
||crushed ginger nut biscuits
||stem ginger, chopped
||vegan whipped cream (optional), mint leaves
- Mix the first six ingredients together in a large saucepan then bring to the boil.
- While you are waiting for the water to boil, put half of the biscuit crumbs in 4 tall glass tumblers and press down gently to form a base. Now divide the stem ginger between all the glasses.
- Once the water mixture has come to the boil pour it into the tumblers leaving about a 4cm gap at the top. You might find it easier to pour the liquid into a jug first than directly into the glasses. Leave to set in the glasses – this will take at least an hour.
- Cover the top of the jelly with the remaining biscuit crumbs then top the glass with vegan custard.
- You can top with whipping cream if desired for extra presentation. Garnish with a sprinkle of biscuit crumbs, a few pieces of stem ginger and a mint leaf. Serve immediately so as not to let the crumb mixture go too soggy.
NB: Soyatoo brand vegan whipped cream can be purchased in a carton or a spray can if you are looking for this ingredient.
© The Vegetarian Society 2010