Sam’s Tip of the Season: Courgettes, Green Beans, and Tomatoes
I’ve chosen to share a recipe with you from our newly revamped The Essential Veggie two day workshop because it includes a number of veggies in season at the moment – courgettes, green beans and tomatoes.
If you don’t have green beans but there’s some broccoli hanging around in your fridge, use that instead. Or if you’re short on fresh green veggies all round, frozen peas work really well too. All of these swaps will change the flavour mix of the dish but you may accidentally discover your new favourite combination!
I love using barley as a substitute for rice in risottos or to give soups and stews a bit of substance, but there are plenty of other grains that can be used instead. This recipe lists cooked barley as an ingredient, whatever you choose to use instead needs to be cooked first, but try a variety and find out which works best for you.
Bigger grains work best so aim for buckwheat, bulgur wheat, farro, spelt, brown rice, and even giant couscous. Smaller grains will work but will give quite a different texture. Try out whatever you have in your cupboard.
Cherry Tomato, Barley and Green Bean Salad
Can be vegan
Serves 4 (as side dish)
Preparation: 10 mins
Cooking: 10 mins
250g cooked barley
100g cherry tomatoes, halved
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion diced
100g courgettes, thinly sliced
5 cloves garlic, minced
½ tsp dried thyme
50g green beans, chopped
50g sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
To garnish (optional):
Vegetarian/vegan Italian-style hard cheese, grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a good sized pan over medium high heat. Add onions and sauté over a medium heat until golden.
2. Add courgettes garlic and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally until tender for about 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Add the green beans, cook for a further 3 mins, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in the barley and sun-dried tomatoes and heat through.
4. Finally, add the cherry tomatoes and stir well. Garnish with vegetarian/vegan Italian-style hard cheese. Serve immediately.