Suitable for Freezing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 stick celery, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic, crushed
- ½ x 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ x 400g cannellini beans
- 1 small potato
- 150g kale
- 50g stale bread, torn into chunks
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tsp vegetarian pesto
- Pour the olive oil into a medium-sized saucepan and heat the fennel seeds until they pop. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic and cook over a low heat with the lid ajar for 15 minutes until soft, but not brown.
- Add the canned and fresh tomatoes and bay leaf then bring back to a gentle simmer for a few minutes.
- Add the cannellini beans and potato, together with 100ml water, and bring back to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the kale and the bread and continue cooking for a further 15 minutes. The soup should be thick but not dry, so add more water if needed.
- Serve in bowls, seasoned to taste, with the pesto.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?