- 250g pasta
- 40g butter or margarine
- 40g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 350g grated vegetarian Cheddar cheese
- 40g breadcrumbs dried chives (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/gas mark 5.
- In the medium saucepan, cook the pasta according to packet instructions, drain in a colander, flush with cold water, and set aside.
- Melt the butter over low heat in the large saucepan. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and stir with the wooden spoon to form a paste. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually stir in the milk, approximately 100ml at a time, stirring out any lumps from the mixture. Continue stirring until the sauce thickens, then add the next bit of milk. When the sauce is ready, in around 10-15 minutes, it will be fairly thick, smooth and steaming. Don’t allow it to boil! (Hint! You may want to gradually increase the heat from low to medium-low as you add more milk).Remove the sauce from heat and stir in 250g of the cheese, mixing well until the cheese has melted.Transfer the pasta into the ovenproof dish, pour the cheese sauce over it and stir the mixture around, making sure that all of the pasta is covered in sauce.Sprinkle the mixture first with breadcrumbs, then with the remaining cheese, finally adding a dash of dried chives (optional).
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes until the cheese is browned and bubbling.
Nutrition per serving