For the soup
- 500g chestnuts, fresh or canned
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 500ml semi-skimmed milk
- 500ml water
- Cooked chestnuts
- 4 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley
- If using fresh chestnuts, score an ‘x’ through the base and grill for 5-7 minutes. Set aside and when cool, remove skins.
- Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the bay leaf and onions. Sauté until lightly golden.
- Add the chestnuts, salt, pepper, sage and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the milk and water and bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Empty the mixture into a liquidizer and blend until smooth
- Return mixture to the pan and add additional water to create soup consistency to your preference.
- Garnish with cooked chestnuts and a sprig of flat-leaf parsley
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?