- 100g ready to eat dried mango
- 100g ready to eat dried figs
- 125g ready to eat dried cranberries
- 200ml vegetarian fino sherry
- 100g light vegetarian suet
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 1 ½ tsp cardamom seeds, lightly crushed
- 25g pecan nuts, finely chopped
- 1 large orange, zest and juice
- 2 large free range eggs, lightly beaten
- 15g butter (for greasing)
- Cut all the dried fruit into small dice (kitchen scissors can be less messy than using a knife) and place in a shallow bowl. Pour over the sherry and leave to soak for 1 hour, stirring from time to time.
- Combine the suet, breadcrumbs, sugar, flour, cardamom and nuts in a large bowl. Add the orange zest, juice and eggs to the marinating fruit and then combine with the dry ingredients, mixing well.
- Grease a 1 litre pudding basin and line the base with baking parchment. Spoon the mixture into the basin and level the top. Cover with baking parchment, pleated to allow for expansion, then cover with foil also pleated and tie with string.
- Place an upturned saucer in a large saucepan. Stand the basin on top and pour boiling water two-thirds up the sides of the basin. Bring to the boil and simmer for 3 ½ hours topping up with boiling water as necessary.