- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 inch piece ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large carrot, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced into small pieces
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 100g red lentils, rinsed
- 600ml low sodium vegetable stock
- 400ml passata
- 1 x 210g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- 1 wholemeal roti
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, garlic and ginger and fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrot, potato, cumin, lentils, stock and passata to the pan. Bring to the boil then turn heat down to a simmer.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chickpeas, and more water if needed, and cook for a further 20 minutes, continuing to stir from time to time.
- Ladle the dal into bowls and top with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little black pepper.
- Serve with wholemeal roti.
Nutrition per serving
Our online recipe collection helps new veggies find their feet and gives inspiration to those in a culinary rut. However, developing new recipes is costly and as a charity we can’t do this without you. Will you donate £3 a month to help create more tasty, nutritious meal ideas?